Press Release #3
For Immediate Release – Covid-19 update – March 20, 2020
The Town of Tarboro continues to closely monitor the effects of COVID-19 (coronavirus). As always the safety of our citizens and visitors is our highest priority.
In accordance with State and Federal guidelines and recommendations, and in an abundance of caution, effective Saturday, March 14, 2020 the Town of Tarboro will take the following actions in response to COVID-19:
- Cease all nonessential town events, gatherings, and meetings until further notice
- Close the E.L. Roberson Senior Recreation Center until further notice
- Suspend all organized Parks & Recreation indoor and outdoor programs, games, activities, and rentals until further notice.
Recreation facilities, other than the E.L. Roberson Senior Recreation Center, will remain open for individual use during normal hours until further notice.Existing rentals of facilities will receive refunds if cancelled and not postponed. · Other Town facilities, including Town Hall, will remain open during normal hours to serve our citizens until further notice.
- Town staff will be increasing sanitation efforts, including disinfecting doors, surfaces, and equipment on a regular basis to mitigate the potential for virus exposure.
Based on the latest guidelines of the Centers for Disease Control and mandates from Governor Roy Cooper, effective Wednesday, March 18, 2020 the Town of Tarboro took the following additional actions:
· The Fitness Room at Braswell Recreation Center will be closed until further notice. · Staff will monitor gatherings of individuals at Town facilities to keep them at 50 or fewer people.
On 3/20/2020 the State of NC reported that two cases of COVID-19 have been confirmed through communal contact. In an effort to protect our citizens and staff we are making the decision to close our buildings to the public. Effective 3/20/2020 at 5pm, ALL Town of Tarboro owned buildings will be closed to the public.
- The Town of Tarboro will continue to provide administrative, utility services to include electric, water, sewer, trash, and recycling collection. Recreation services will not be provided until further notice.
- Town staff will continue to report to work to fulfill services.
- Utility payments can be made by utilizing our drop box located at the front of Town Hall at 500 N. Main St. or by paying online with our payment portal located on our website at www.tarboro-nc.com.
We may be contacted utilizing the listing below:
Administration (252) 641-4223
Utility Payment Collection Department (252) 641-4220
Electric (252) 641-4252
Finance (252) 641-4220
Fire 911 Emergency, (252) 641-4296 Non-Emergency
Human Resources (252) 641-4244
Planning (252) 641-4249
Police 911 Emergency, (252) 641-4211 Non-Emergency
Public Works (252) 641-4235
Recreation (252) 641- 4263
According to the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services, these community-based interventions to limit social interactions and public gatherings can have a significant impact on limiting the spread of viruses like COVID-19. The Town of Tarboro, does not take these actions lightly, but rather as an appropriate response to protect the most vulnerable of our citizens and visitors. In addition to the Town’s actions, individuals can take several basic steps on their own to prevent the contraction and spread of viruses. The Centers for Disease Control recommends the following:
- Practice Good Hygiene.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially before eating, after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
- If you are feeling ill, please contact your healthcare provider.
For more information about COVID-19, go to www.cdc.gov.