Edgecombe County Schools
There are 14 schools in the Edgecombe County school system, serving about 6,200 students in preschool through twelfth grade. The county schools are accredited by the N.C. State Board of Education as well as the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and the system has been recognized for maintaining standardized achievement test scores that are comparable to state and national levels.
Highly qualified, certified teachers staff the system. All K-3 classrooms have a teacher's assistant and all schools have a counselor on staff. The curriculum includes a comprehensive K-12 program of studies complimented by computer technology. Foreign language, music, art, and drama are offered from the elementary level through senior high, and band can be selected at the middle and high school level.
The school system maintains an active extracurricular schedule year round, with interscholastic sports that include baseball, basketball, football, golf, softball, tennis, track, and Special Olympics. Many clubs are also available: history clubs, foreign language clubs, 4-H, scouts, Future Business Leaders of America, Future Teachers of America, school spirit clubs, and more.
High school honors and advanced placement courses are available, as well as an excellent program for academically gifted students, beginning on the elementary level. The exceptional children's department offers a strong special education program for mental and physically handicapped students.
In the summer, several sports camps are offered as well as day camps and special interest camps in math, science, computers, music, and drama.
The schools in the Edgecombe County system are:
* GW Bulluck Elementary School - Pre-K-5
* GW Carver Elementary School - Pre-K-5
* Coker-Wimberly Elementary School - Pre-K-5
* Edgecombe Early College - 9-12
* Martin Millennium Academy - K-8
* North Edgecombe High School - 9-12
* W. A. Pattillo Middle School - 6-8
* Phillips Middle School - 6-8
* Princeville Elementary School - Pre-K-5
* South Edgecombe Middle School - 6-8
* Southwest Edgecombe High School - 9-12
* Stocks Elementary School - Pre-K-5
* Tarboro High School - 9-12
* West Edgecombe Middle School - 6-8
The Headstart Program is operated by Nash-Edgecombe Economic Development Incorporated. The program center is open to children ages three to five years with 90% of the enrollment from low income families. Headstart operates twelve months out of the year.
Maggie Purvis, NEED, Inc.
818 S. Franklin Street
PO Box 2346
Rocky Mount, NC 27801
Telephone (252) 442-9791
North East Carolina Prep School - K-12
Post Secondary Education
Within easy access of Tarboro are the following post secondary institutions:
* Edgecombe Community College, Tarboro, NC
* North Carolina Wesleyan College, Rocky Mount, NC (17 miles)
* Barton College, Wilson, NC (25 miles)
* East Carolina University, Greenville, NC (25 miles)
* St. Augustine's College, Raleigh, NC (70 miles)
* Shaw University, Raleigh, NC (70 miles)
* North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC (70 miles)
* Duke University, Durham, NC (85 miles)
* North Carolina Central University, Durham, NC (100 miles)
* University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC (100 miles)
* North Carolina A&T State University, Greensboro, NC (140 miles)